Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Finally an update.... right... HOME Stretch



It's been a while since the last update; though I wish I had more time to dedicate like before it's just not there. So I try to make progress when I find time available. The current updates have had more hands in the pot than just mine. It's almost becoming a mini team build in a way. Ralph had helped me with painting the interior and engine bay when I had a week off of school. Now Daniel has blessed the track car with his special touch and one of the most important Fascist of the build.... Turbo kit.

I had used Daniel’s (Boost Junkyz-602-421-1504) services before and was thoroughly impressed with the turnaround time, superb quality, and straight and forward prices.

When I went to Daniel with the idea and opportunity he immediately jumped on board and said yes! Project mayhemwas 100% full go forward from there on, as soon as the turbo arrived the kit was complete start to finish within one week.

After much research we decide to go with the first BorgWarner 67/58 top mount SR20Det turbo kit for immediate turbo response, accessibility, and simplicity while every other Nissan is swapping Sr's for domestic lsx motor transplants, etc.

Not going to lie, if I had 12 thousand laying around I would also swap a lsx into the track car. However, I must live within my means. Not to mention the 67/58 is 500 horsepower capable with a spool and power band that will feel similar to the v8 minus the obnoxiously sound.

The new BorgWarner turbo only make sense.

The Engineered For Racing (EFR) turbine wheels are comprised primarily of titanium and aluminum with approximate 1:1 turbine: compressor weight ratio which dramatically improves turbo response.



Utilizing the t2 housing and proportionate runners there is no need for twin scroll.

The feature which attracted me the most is the convenience of the compressor bypass valve,boost control solenoid, and wastegate all combined within the turbo.

Before for EFR was released I had been researching options to clock the Garrett 3071 to position as a top mount set up. However, the options to do so seemed to drastic compared to the BorgWarner EFR. I would have had to purchase the turbo, purchase a Tail wastegate, and the Tail blow off valve.

The street car is running the same SR20Det swap as the track car with the 525hp rated Garrett 3076 top mount set up compared to the 500hp 58/67. At the end of the month I we're able to post dyno numbers to directly compare both set ups.

I'll try to update regularly as the build is now piecing itself together.









No comments:

Post a Comment